Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chapter 5 - Questioning the Media-

1. Describe your earliest memories of watching television. What was your favorite show? Which, if any shows did your family watch together? Were there shows that you were not allowed to watch? Which ones and why?
- My earliest moments and memories with watching TV, happened when I was a young child. I remember watching the TV loving the sounds and the animations. I would cry and complain until I would get my way and watch TV. There were even times, I would fall asleep by the TV. My mama would always tell me "... back away from the TV, or you'll go blind." Luckily I listened to her and nothing bad came from me sitting to close. She would also say it was a great tool to keep me quiet for a few hours. My favorite shows included Sesame Street and Gullah Gullah Island. Those were my favorite shows because I loved counting, shapes, and the family on Gullah Gullah Island reminded me of my own family. A big caring family with different personalities all living in one house. The TV was a place were we would bond together as a family. As a family, we would watch game shows and action type shows. My sisters and I would always argue over what we wanted to watch. I would always win because I was the only boy in the family. I was used to always getting my way of some sort. When it came to the TV shows, there were also shows my parents blocked and forbid us from watching. We were not allowed to watch any shows that portrayed violence, sexual activity, drugs & alcohol involvement. One type of shows included wrestling, because it caused harm to other people for the fun of the sport. As I got older, my parents became more lenient as to what we watched.

2. How much television do you watch today? Which programs do you try to watch regularly? What attracts you to your favorite program(s)?
- I find myself watching television on a regular basis. I normally do it to pass the time because I am generally bored in my dorm room. It is also a useful tool at night, because the TV has to be on in order for me to go to sleep. I can watch the TV for hours because it gives me the opportunity to be lazy and relaxed. I also watch TV when I'm doing homework, even though it does distract me easily. I know that if I am not listening to my radio or ipod, than I am tuned into a TV show. On the TV, I am a very open minded person. When it comes to programs. I like to watch the news, things about animals, talk shows, game shows, and of course cartoons. My favorite show is First48 because it's a show my mama and I would watch together. It's a crime related type show that portrays real life murder crimes and gives a little lead way as to how the forensics team operates. We would try to figure out suspects and what happened within the crime scenes. The show attracts me because I know the show is real. There are no actors nothing has been "recreated." The police officers, the witnesses, the suspects are all new. The only thing that is changed, is the names of people to protect their rights. Some of my uncles and aunts are detectives and homicide officers. the field has always been an interest for me; watching the process on TV, makes the show even better.

3. If you were a network television executive, what changes would you try to make in the programs that America watches?
- There are a few changes I would have in mind. I would produce and direct more shows that focus on education. Some adolescents may know they need to have school to be successful and educated. Education is a structural tool that is needed in his/her background. Although, some may have different paths to choose. I would want programs to educate the younger crowd because they are the future leaders of this country. To show them the affects of not staying in the books. Some may end up as drop outs or even incarcerated. I would not want that for anyone especially if he/she has the capability to do more. I would also lend towards having more family oriented shows. Shows that families can sit and watch together and get the messages from within the shows. Families are loosing the sense of bonding together as a whole. I would also strive to eliminate the hardcore shows that portray the lifestyles of gangsters, gang members, and violence. I do know those issues may never go away, but it would be the one less thing watched by the children. In today's society children copy what they see on TV because it seems to be "cool." That is why parents should still be monitoring their children's shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment