Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Questioning the Media - Chapter 3 -

1. Who was your first favorite group or singer? How old were you at the time? What was important to you about this music?
- My favorite music artist is Michael Jackson. I was in elementary school when I first began playing and listening to his music. I am currently still a big fan of his music and works. He was quite a character and different from other artists at the time. He chose to stand out amongst the crowd and be different. He was not afraid of taking chances and trying something new. As an adult, he has made decisions that may have not been the best, but it's his music that shines over his faults. He did not let his personal life try to affect his music. I feel his songs as well as his legacy shall remain strong as well as honored. His style of music is what attracted me because he didn't sing to a particular audience. His songs were for everyone and they were about honor, love, trust, and unity. In each song he made a point to get a general message across. Throughtout his career, seeing how he had the support and love from his parents and his fans, proved to me he was loved and respected.

2. If you ran a noncommercial campus radio station, what kind of music would you play and why?
- I would play anything my listeners would want to hear. I would not discrimate against any genre, style, or artist. I would bring back the oringinal cassette tapes and record players. These materials were the foundation and building blocks of the new generation of music. I know in some situations, I would have people listening and that may choose not to. I am not a biased person and will listen to anything once or twice. As a radio station owner/host, I am obligated to have an open mind and to make it more convienent for all. Or another idea would be to play certain types of songs on certain days or certain time frames. I would do everything in my power to satisfy the listeners. I would also welcome new talent that may want to sing songs or play his/her song on the radio. I would also try not to collide with other major radio stations that way my station would be quite unique. In the end, music is music and it's something to be enjoyed by all.

5. Do you think the Internet as a technologyy helps or hurts musical artists? Why do so many contemporary musical performers differ in their opinions about the Internet?
- I believe it can do both help and hurt an artist. A few things that can be benificial for an artist is that it would be a way to get his/her music out there to the general public. The Internet is a useufl tool to help market and to promote the music. There is a wide variety  of people who currently use the Internet on a daily basis. Once the music is out to the general public than the next steps would be to continue the promoting. The Internet may also be a good source to find out if a musical artist may be having an upcoming event or show. There are also negative issues that can occur from the Internet. There are multiple sites and applications online that allows a person to download a program or software. The programs on occasions are free and it allows the user to download songs or an entire CD for free, without having to step inside an audio store. The artist and the label would be losing money during this process. Unless, the downloading company puts heavy restrictions on the process. In some cases, there are criminal minded individuals who would like to make some quick money by bootlegging products. Many contemporary music performers differ in their opinions about the Internet because some people used the Internet as a way to get broadcasted while some artists went about it a more natural way. There are a few artists who may have started in talent shows, bars, or even local clubs. Music should be something that an artist is passionate about. Whether it is a career or a simple hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment