Friday, January 21, 2011

Chapter 1 -Questioning Media

1. Using music or television as an example, identify a performer or program you once liked but grew away from as you got older and your tastes changed. Why do you think this happened? Do you think your early interests in popular music or television have had an impact on shaping your identity?Explain.
- As a child, I used to be a fanatic for Sesame Street. My favorite characters were Elmo, Big Bird, and Count Dracula. The show was very popular for me because it brought joy and happiness to me. It also made learning about numbers and shapes fun. I also enjoyed the daily songs they would sing. I felt that the show was made for kids just like me. Overall, it made the process of learning more interactive.The show even went as far as to providing a bonding time with my mother and I.  As I got older, the show began to provide little interest to me because I was growing older and had already received the educational affect. A bigger influence on me were my older siblings. I wanted to watch what the big kids were watching. I do believe television has a great deal of shaping your identity. I feel a person is going to watch something on tv that has a common interest to them. By showing the interest in the show, it proves that a person will watch somethin that appeals to his/her personality.

3. Pick an examle of a popular media product that you think is harmful to children. How would you make your concerns known? Should the product be removed from circulation? Why or Why not? If you think the product should be banned, how would you do it?
- An example of a popular media product that I feel is harmful to children would be the video games that are created today. When I was growing up, video games were less violent and more based on fun and adventures. A lot of games portrary violence and even sex related situations. The products are not appealing to me because I don't feel the need to associate or play those type of games. I don't believe any parent would want his/her child to see such obscene behavior, let alone play the games. The prodcuts shouldn't be removed, but the games should meet a strict age requirement to purchase those type of games. The age limit should be more based on the mature/adult type of level. In the business world, pulling the products may cause a lost of money towards some companies. The company should still stress the age plan. A game can't be quite appealing when it involves murdering the enemies or causing harm.

5. Although in some ways postmodern forms of communication, such as e-mail, MTV, cell phones, and Twitter, have helped citizens participate in global life, in what ways might these forms harm more traditional or native cultures.
- The good thing about the forms of communications are they provide a way to keep in touch or stay connected with friends and family. There are some friends and family members that I don't get to talk to on a regular basis, so I can use things such as Facebook as a source to talk with them when I have the time to. Another positive thing is that I can post pictures and even videos. Some people are not real big on face to face communication so he/she might use social sites or texting as a way to express themselves without having to say a word to anyone. It may be a good way to avoid confrontation, but at the same time it is not the way I would want to communicate. The negative views about the lack of communication is that it does take away the traditional way of talking face to face. That is the way things were done before the usage of texting and the social sites. Now that we have the options and different ways of communicating, we as a whole, have became lazy. It is hard to express how you truly feel with only words. The face to face communication would have more value behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment